Get to know Nadia, a South Florida and destination wedding photographer who takes effortless, editorial-esque photos emphasizing candid moments between couples.
1. Tell us a little about yourself/your background and what drew you into wanting to become a wedding photographer. "I have always been drawn to the arts; specifically, photography. For a long time, I pursued it lightly, more as a hobby than anything. With a decade-long career in logistics as an operations manager in the corporate world, I did not have the time or energy to give my passion for photography a chance. When life was abruptly stopped due to the pandemic, I was given the gift of time and I gave in 100% to my creative side and it just flourished. I am extremely organized and detail-oriented, which comes in handy for the administrative/planning side of my business. But I love switching off that side of me and getting lost in creativity when I am wearing the photographer's hat."
2. How would you best describe your wedding photography style?
"The best way to describe it is to not put it in a box. I document a wedding day with an open approach, implementing both photojournalistic and editorial styles while staying true to how the day unfolded. At the end of the day, the in-between moments are what I am mostly after. My goal is to capture timeless images that are intimate and honest with an editorial feel to them."
3. What is one thing you wish more people knew about wedding photography?
"There’s so much that goes on before, during, and after a wedding. We are highly involved in the planning process and make ourselves available to our couples for long periods prior to the wedding. There’s extensive preparation when it comes to our equipment,
backups, location scouting, timelines, and moving parts we juggle to deliver a seamless experience. And don’t get me started on what goes on after the wedding! Post-production is an even bigger part of the process."
4. How do you adapt when clients have specific visions that don't necessarily match your photography style?
"Communication is key. It’s important for me to connect with prospective clients to make sure that we are a good fit. If their vision is far-fetched from my style, I would rather recommend them to a photographer that will be a better match for them."
5. If there was any iconic past wedding you wish you could have photographed, which would it be?
"I am going to go big on this one…Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas / Sofia Richie and Elliot Grange!"
6. What is one wedding memory you will always remember? "Too many to select just one. My ultimate favorites are always intimate moments between the couple, sometimes it might be just a simple look, a soft caressing that almost went unnoticed."
7. What differentiates you from other businesses in the wedding photography industry?
"I live and breathe what I do. I am extremely passionate about my work and pour my soul into every moment, every image. Besides delivering beautiful images, it is a top priority for me to deliver an enjoyable and immaculate experience. That is why I spend a lot of time getting to know my couples and understanding their priorities and vision."
8. What are the long-term goals you have for your business?
"Some of my long-term goals involve giving back by volunteering for projects close to my heart. Another goal is to keep bettering myself and my business through education. I aim to take mentoring courses yearly and invest in personal creative projects as often as possible."
9. How do you incorporate a couple's personality into the photos you take?
"Couples often express to me how they are awkward in front of the camera but end up looking like supermodels. It’s part of my job to read their body language and use my expertise to highlight their connection and what makes their relationship unique. It’s all about helping them have fun while in front of the camera. If they feel comfortable with me the awkwardness completely disappears."
10. Is there anything else you would like to share?
"Just want to say how inspired I am by Hanna Gotz’s collections. I had the pleasure of photographing many of your stunning pieces and cannot wait to work together again in the near future. It’s truly a pleasure working alongside talented and like-minded industry leaders like Hanna and her team."
You can find more of Nadia's incredible work on Instagram @nadiadiaznaval, or on her website: https://www.nadiadiaznaval.com/